Robin's Nest

Monday, May 28, 2012

Motivated by a Bird

It’s not often that I just sit and do nothing. I would say that is probably a good way to describe most of us. We like to do things, accomplish much and have the pleasure of getting things done. It could be something as simple as washing a few dishes, picking up after party or getting out and cutting the grass. Could even be as mundane as washing the dirt off the car or watering the tomato plants. I’m not sure if it’s the sense of satisfaction or just the pleasure of being useful.

I sat watching a Robin this spring building a nest. It was fascinating to see all that went in to forming the foundation so it would stay in place and then building on to it with only its beak and feet. I guess fascinating isn’t the right word for a person who feels a sense of accomplishment in doing something and then sits for a while doing nothing but watching a bird work.

Two things happened that day. First I learned by observation. Not learning how I could do the same thing in building a nest, but learned how she accomplished her task. The second thing that happened was, it motivated me to get up off the chair, go and get something done and then return to see how she much more she had done. Almost as if she created in me something that motivated me because of what some other industrious creature was doing.

“I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” Phil 4:13, came to mind at first and this made me think of a second verse, And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Hebrews 10:24. Within each one of us are gifts and abilities that God wishes for us to use and share. First with the community of faith and also with anyone else that could use a helping hand. The interesting difference I see in these verses is, it is accomplishing something for someone else. It is not centred in what we do for ourselves. No, I can’t help the Robin build its nest. But I can help someone cut their grass, or carry their groceries, even wash their car or just go and pray with someone. As I watch someone else helping someone, someone watches me helping someone, motivates another and another and another to do the same. Maybe that is how mission work started???

And what’s stopping me and you from doing all those good deeds?

Something to think about.

Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home