Robin's Nest

Monday, March 26, 2012

How's Your Day?


We Canadians talk about one subject more often than anything else. We talk about weather. And with spring in the air, well almost, we again are talking about its arrival. Okay, that was last week and now we are again talking about winter coming back. It’s part of not only who we are as Canadians, but what moves us here in the frigid north. That is too bad.

Here is another line or subject we talk about but it’s doesn’t really touch us or say much either. Think about it for a minute and say, “Nice day?” It can also be interpreted “Nice day.” or “Nice day!”. Depending on whom you are talking to and what is on your mind. Almost like going through a check-out line and hearing those words Walmart made famous, “Have a nice day”. I get all kinds of reactions when I reply, “No, I have other plans”. Try it, you have my permission. You will see.

I tried an experiment of late. Something I have taken a while to think through. It probably arose out of my connection to people at the old folk’s home. Instead of saying something like, “How are you?” I have changed it a little. Most of the time I say; “How’s your day so far?” Believe it or not, I get totally different responses beyond the one word answer, “fine”. I guess it’s a line that disarms most people and they can then actually say what’s happening or even what’s on their minds.

As we approach Palm Sunday I have been wondering about the conversations in the crowd that day. What was on the minds of the people that came out of Jerusalem that day. Just for a minute, put yourself in the situation, in the crowd. What would we have heard from the people around us that warm, Jerusalem morning? We definitely would have heard the Hosannas. But what if, what if we had actually been there and turned to the person beside us and asked, “How is your day so far?” Would the excitement be punctuated by lines like, “This is awesome!” “I can’t believe I’m this close to Jesus”. Or would it be, “What’s all the excitement about, who is this guy?” By the way, I don’t think anyone would have made any reference to the weather.

In the quietness of this morning, I have been thinking about this. I have even been introspective. Would I have asked questions of others or just moved with the throng and only answered what was asked of me. How would I have answered the people around me if they had asked, “How’s your day, what do you think?” I have to ask myself, what would I have said to the person with the palm branch beside me? Would I be saying things like, “What’s the fuss all about?” or “Is this the new king?” or, “It’s a good day for me, how about you?” On the other hand maybe we would say, “It’s Jesus, and I know Him.” What would you say?

Something to think about.

Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home