Robin's Nest

Monday, April 02, 2012

Christmas At Easter?

It was my desire to finally accomplish what I have never been able to do. It’s been years since I started on this journey. And I was determined this would be the year. As I looked around I was sure nothing had escaped my sight. Everything appeared to be packed in those thirty seven big blue tote bins. Well, not just packed. Items were lovingly handled and protectively packed in bubble wrap. Held myself back from popping them all. Then they were softly placed in the bins and taken carefully upstairs. It was when they all arrived in their safe hideaway that I felt it was the end of it for another year and I had finally done it. Not one thing left out anywhere.

For too many years, something, somewhere in the house, displayed one or more of these items for part if not all the year. But this year I made a thorough search of the house. I looked in every room. And while in each room I checked high and low, behind things, in things and everywhere in between. I was proud of myself this year. It was finally going to happen. For the first time in years, no, first time ever the Christmas decorations will finally disappeared into the lofty heights of the attic for another 10 months.

It felt good to go around the house and not see something, red and green. We even gathered the Christmas linen out of all the cupboards and drawer. Even snuck up on the tea towel drawer just in time to pounce on just one more escapee. It was a masterful plan. After all, we are at Easter you know.

That was until just a few minutes ago. Up until then I thought we made it. It was a great feeling, – that didn’t last. Then, then I took the laundry out of the dryer for my wife. And what should I behold? It was a bright red and white pair of socks, and not just one sock but two. . Foaled again. Seems like I will never win this battle of the Christmas items. Out of nowhere, comes this decidedly Christmas item. And I will have to admit, this is probably not the last thing I find.

As I sit holding this pair of socks I realize this is no coincidence. No haphazard appearance. I believe it was God Himself gently nudging me to realize Christmas is part of Easter and Easter part of Christmas. We can’t have the one without the other. We can’t have the birth, the beginning of life, without the sacrifice for sin. They are intrinsically entwined, one in the same. Jesus came as a baby to live in a world we all share. His words tell us, “I came to seek and save those who are lost”. And He did that by taking our place. He took our sin and paid the penalty for us.

As we continue our Lenten walk to the cross with Jesus, be thankful He came. And be eternally grateful He paid the price for our sins so we can know grace, forgiveness and eternal life when we will be raised to new life, just like Him.
Something to think about & Happy Easter. See you in church.

Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home