Robin's Nest

Monday, December 26, 2016

It's A New Year



It’s not that hard to figure out that Christmas has changed.  Once, a long time ago you would wake up to Christmas morning, open your few gifts and wait for dinner to be served. And as many people of that generation, you would right now be saying, life was simple then. Yes, indeed it was. Whoever thought that a parent would buy a $500 iphone for their three year old?
It even scares me that there are parents that purchase a brand new, shall I say it, expensive, automobile for their sixteen year old for Christmas. No, I’m not going to use the line, “when I was your age…” I’m just saying. When I heard of these extravagant gifts I thought to myself, ‘what are they going to do next year to top it’.
I guess my doctor is right, I’m at that age you know. It’s an age when presents don’t mean that much to me, either in the getting or the giving. Don’t get me wrong, I like them to. Even cried this year at one of those simple, touching presents that told me more than words can say. But really?
A long time ago, and it’s coming to fruition a lot more each new Christmas that the best gift you can give me is, spend some time with me. One of the most wonderful things about living is a line I cannot get out of my mind.  It goes like this: “Our children have us as long as it takes for all of them to hear what we have to say”. I’m very lucky, not that they have heard me yet, but each Sunday we video our church service. And if technology doesn’t surpass our present technology too much, my children’s children will still be able to hear that most important message I want to leave for each one of them. The message that Jesus came to take our sins away and to help us become the human beings He always intended us to be.
In this new year give the present of a year full of your presence, just as Jesus does each and every day.
Happy New Year
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home