Robin's Nest

Monday, December 12, 2016

Merry Christmas 1980

I need you to do something for me. It’s not that difficult considering how many millions of times you will go off to the store. And if you do you will see how important it is for you and for me.
As you have noticed yourself, many people have said so many things about Christmas, I don’t know where to start. One person said, “Christmas is for children” even wrote a song about it. Of course it wasn’t Scrooge who said that. Another individual said ‘Christmas is for giving’. But isn’t it nice to get something?
Way back, and I mean way back one Christmas Eve day I received a phone call at work from my mom. Very unusual to say the least as my phone was only for inside company calls. She told me that her single mother close friend saved up all year so she could buy presents for her kids. The problem was, someone bumped into her at Kresge’s on Christmas morning and stole her money. The lady called my mom, crying uncontrollable and totally devastated. Mom wanted to know if I knew of anyone or organization who might be able to help her out at this late time. There weren’t many of them in those years but I told her I would see what I could do.
Two minutes later I was talking to my wife telling her the story and asked her to go shopping. When I arrived home that Christmas Eve afternoon, the other three family members were so very excited. All because they were wrapping presents for someone they had never met.  As quickly as we could we filled the trunk and drove down to a tiny house on Dundurn St South. Even now, every time I drive down past Fortino’s, I look over at that little house, and smile. The four of us, very quietly filled our arms and gently knocked on the door. We were greeted by a very shy five year old who peeked around the slightly open door. She became really excited by strangers with presents.   
They invited us in and we obliged for a just enough time to meet all three children. Just as quickly as we came, after a teary eyed mom gave us a hug, we disappeared into the quiet night. I believe my two daughters have forgotten everything about that Christmas with one exception. We all remember the God given feeling that you can only get when you give to someone you don’t know on the one day surrounded in the act of giving. You know, God did that.
So, do you want to know what I want you to do? I want you to go buy something real special, wrap it up and then find someone to give it to, either someone you know that is hurting or better yet, someone you just walk up to. Can you do that and make three people happy? That person will be happy, you too will experience an inner glow. Best of all, God will be happy because you will just have followed His lead. After all, He was the first one to give to us as He gave us the baby Jesus.
Something to think about
Rob
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home