Robin's Nest

Monday, August 10, 2015

It's Monday Morning



What motivates you? With school just a few weeks away, I have been toying again with this word. I didn’t ask, what moves you because that’s a different consideration. Let’s think about this for a few minutes. This question came to me as I was reminded of asking it of myself a life time ago. Back then there were similar motivators we have today, but there are many different motivators as well. Let’s just say life was different then.
So, what is it? I believe motivation has always been that something within you that pushes you to do things, try things, experience things, or maybe just accepting of the challenge. Take for instance another simple every day question. What motivates you to go to work each day? Some would say they are motivated by duty, or responsibility or pressure, or may I say, pleasure? But then again, some would say the only motivator for them on a Monday morning is the pay cheque at the end of the week. For many, that is enough. At times I would have to include myself in that. First job I had right out of high school was chosen by the pay cheque.
Hunger is a motivator. If I don’t work, I don’t eat.  Some others are motivated like I said, by the challenge. With the Pan Am games coming to a close we know that some of the athletes wanted to see if they could win a medal.  Back at seminary, I remember hearing an unhealthy motivator. You may have heard it as well.  Students were motivated by the desire to get the top mark just to be the top dog. That ended one day when someone in the group asked what my mark was and I said, “Let’s just say that when I graduate, my employer is not going to ask what marks I received but do I have a degree”.
For all of us, motivation is that special something that takes us from where we are to where we need to be. Today, age has changed me. I believe I have discovered what all of us need. That motivator, that something is our desire to be the best that God has always intended us to be. As Rick Warren wrote, we have a purpose. Once you find out our God given purpose, which includes being your best self, we will be motivated to do anything just because He asked. He will motivate you to accomplish anything and everything and will put a smile on your face that will last for the rest of your life and beyond.
Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home