Robin's Nest

Monday, June 01, 2015

One More?



Here’s the line: “Sometimes it’s easier to ask for forgiveness, then to get permission”. Go ahead, smile because you have used it many times before. But before we go too far on this, yes, at times it’s true, but. Just like the other day when I decided to buy another clock. My un-delighted wife wasn’t impressed. My reasoning to myself was that I had sold one recently to a friend and the space in the room seemed so, so empty if you know what I mean.
There are other considerations when you decide to use this wonderful line. Back to my example with the clock. No one was injured in the process. Buying it, loading it in the back of the car, driving home then carrying it into the house were all accomplished with little effort. No one pulled a muscle, no one stubbed their toe and no fingers were pinched going through the two doorways. The bonus was, the clock didn’t suffer any incidental damage in the process, and the years of dust on the top were removed.
You see, that’s the thing. No one was hurt. The line we started with only applies to situations where no one is hurt. A number of days ago, at one of the study groups, we talked again about sin. Here is my definition; sin is: something we do that hurts someone. Pretty simple, right? But if someone, namely you, someone else or God are hurt, our first line cannot be apply. One of the unfortunate consequences of forgiveness or permission is making the right decision in knowing when it’s appropriate.
As I have gone through life, as I know the rest of you have, it’s harder and harder to ask for forgiveness when our maturity knows the pain and hurt that some of our actions can inflict. Let us not forget, Jesus died for our sins so we can have an amazing relationship with our heavenly Father. Today, right this minute, I know, my daily decisions impact so many people and I decide again this morning to only do those things that God gives me permission to do. How about you?
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Phil. 4:13
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home