Robin's Nest

Monday, February 08, 2016

Valentines



“I love you”. Do you know what I just said? Did I say I love you because of what you do for me? Did I say it because of what I get from knowing you? Do I say I love you because of all you mean to me and I would do anything for you? Or might it be that I say what I say because I want something and saying I love you will help me get what I would like?
Sadly for some people, this over used phrase is something they say flippantly to anyone and ever one when what they really mean is, it’s nice to know you so well and have you in my life. Sadly more people than I care to count say it about things. You have heard this before; “Oh, I just love what you’re wearing today”. I have even heard someone say, after I have said something interesting; “I love how you said that”. Over used, and now it’s undervalued. Maybe we can change all that.
What we need to do is only use ‘I love you’ when we truly mean it. When it originates in our hearts. When it is something that comes from the depth of a warm heart that created the feeling and brought it uncontrollably to the surface of what began deep down in who we are and spilled over into our life and comes out naturally and committedly. That’s what Jesus did when He said He loved us by going the distance and dying for the mistakes we have made through our lives. It is said best in John 15:13, “Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends”. No mushy stuff, just honest to goodness unconditional love. If that is the love you received, is it the love you give?
Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home