Robin's Nest

Monday, February 29, 2016

QUIET!!!



I remember one word that was called to me quite often in school, ‘Quit’. It was usually directed at me more than the other students. Don’t know why, maybe she noticed me more than the others who were not paying attention. But then again, maybe it was me. Maybe I should write a book on what I learned from my grade two, three, fourth grade teachers.
Recently I was doing some visiting with some relatives and their place is out in the middle of no place. As we walked around the yard on that pre-spring, spring day I noticed more than anything the quietness. So stark against what I was used to. It was so nice to have a quiet place to go to. But here, where they live, it was all a quiet place.
Back in school we boys were sometimes a handful. Maybe that is why my marks reflected the noise of the classroom just as our towns and cities are too noisy with traffic and congestion. I must have got quieter as the years past because I started getting higher grades. Nice. I had learned something from all that yelling.
Today I realize there is more to the scripture; ‘Be still and know that I am God’. It’s more than just being still. It’s putting out of our minds all the noise of life. Blocking off our life from the noise and congestion and just opening our ears to learn from the Master. And just like when we were kids, we will get to know Him by talking less and listening more.  If we are to truly get to know God we have to do a lot more listening. It’s not about what we ask, or what we think we know but it’s about what we have heard Him say. Just like the line of that old hymn, ‘open my eyes that I may see. . . ‘
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home