Robin's Nest

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Just One Thing

Do you remember hearing when you were young, “Try harder”? Usually it had something to do with one of the subjects we were poor at, like spelling. Was it worth it? Not really because every program on the computer now has spell check. I even tried my best at sports but to no avail. Being miserable at anything isn’t good for the self-esteem. Especially if you have someone yelling at you to do better.
For me, this went on and on, one year after another after another. That was until grade six. Lucky for me I had Mr. Smith. An unassuming teacher, except for one personality trait, or as we talked about this week in church, characteristic. He had the uncanny ability to see something special in each child. He saw it in me and said to me one day, “what would you love to do more than anything else?” I replied that I would like to memorize a famous speech and recite it. No poetry for me. A famous speech. To my amazement he didn’t tell me to work on my spelling. He told me to learn the speech over the weekend and on Tuesday afternoon I could do it for the history lesson.
That afternoon I recited it word for word. Still can if you would like to hear. I was finally allowed to do what I liked doing. That was only the beginning. After that I did other things and Mr Smith did the same with each of the other children.
That year changed us all and we began to not only love school but we got better in all the other subjects as a bonus.
When I arrived on the large steps of bible college I met another wonderful encourager.  This is what he told us; “find something that you would love to do without getting paid for it and then find someone to pay you for doing it.” I have been living that dream for forty six years.
Over these years I added another dimension to these wise men. You see, I believe we should encourage children to go after the one thing they love more than anything else and DO IT! Yes, keep up the other marks but work and work on what you love, weather it’s something in class like math, or sports or music. Just go out and do it with all your enthusiasm and dedication. Seek to find that elusive 100%.
You see, I believe what another man told us about God in our lives. Rick Warren told us we all have a God given purpose we just need to find it and make it the priority of our lives. 
Do you know why God put you where you are and doing what He wants you to do? If you haven't, start looking today and you will never be the same. 
Something to think about. 
Rob.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home