Robin's Nest

Monday, January 05, 2015

Lead By Example

Been thinking of the past lately. No, not 2014, not even 1994. I’ve been thinking of a gentler time. Way back before having lunch at school. Life was in many ways so different. Still makes me smile when I think of what my brother and I got into. But that is another story hidden behind these two ‘innocent’ faces.

There is one thing I remember vividly about those early years. Back then, you could go outside and have a wonderful time and parents didn’t have to worry about us. Yes, there appeared to be nothing to harm you, and you didn’t worry yourself about supervision. Just go outside and play. Then, when the streetlights would come on we would hear our name being called: “Robin, Paul, time for supper”. Those were the days.

I guess there is another side to this free time. We could go and do anything we wanted. Us neighbourhood kids would gather together and start some game or other. Depended on who had a ball and what the temperature outside was. The other side was, our parents trusted us not to get into any trouble. Like a ball through a window, or some other foolish thing a pre-teen would do. They also knew, and so did we, that when our name was called, you came running. You never wanted to hear all your given names ring out across the neighbourhood . . .

Many times we read about the Son of Gods call. Remember when Jesus called the first four? He used those exact words, “Come, follow me....”, and they did. I don’t know about you but as I got older I had questions about coming when I was called. Today they call is selective hearing.  As an adult, would you want to know a few things before you pack up my old kit bag and go? What would you be thinking? In fact, what are you thinking now? What’s the pay, what is the job description, how much training, will I like the job, want the job, and how about the pension plan etc?

Now, we think different and react different but let me tell you, we are all called. It’s not just the select few. As soon as we give our life to God in Christ, He calls your name, and repeats those familiar words, “Come, follow me”. Do you know what you are called to? If not, talk to Him and He will tell you all you need to know. Here is what I know, when He asks me to follow, it’s not going to be boring but exciting, amazing, challenging and rewarding. Are you ready? Hey, He just called your name . . .

Something to think about

Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home