Robin's Nest

Monday, September 23, 2013

Not Just Yet.



I think I scared some people on Sunday.  You know, really scared them. How did I do that? Just by very simply telling them it’s only thirteen weeks until Christmas. Yes, only. And that my friend is scary. After all, didn’t we just get the kids back to school, and dancing lessons and hockey practices start next week. But then when we went into Dollarama this past Saturday they already had their long isle of Christmas stuff in place on those shelves. And as I sat at home Sunday afternoon, I got very frightened. After an amazing Sunday I took some time to just sit and relax, and reflect on all that had happened. Shortly after, not wanting to read, or listen to a sermon, I turned on HGTV. Nothing more relaxing than to watch some fellow renovating and I can just sit there and say to myself so my wife doesn’t hear, “Poor guy”.
And then it happened to me. I turned into one of those deer starring into the headlights. I could not believe my ears and eyes. There before me in a matter of thirty seconds was the evidence of the first Christmas commercial on the small screen.  Yes, you heard me right and now you’re afraid like I am. I called out to my wife as soon as she came in the door from attending a baby shower, “You won’t believe what I just saw?” To which she replies, “No”. “Yes!”
I just sat there in disbelief. Tell you how bad it was, I don’t remember much about the program after that. My mind started going this way and that. Started thinking about being ready and having all the ducks in a row.  Considered what my plan was for the church and how we were going to do this and that. Even started measuring time and space and even worked myself up enough to almost get up off the chair and continuing to plan the work and work the plan. After all, after next Sunday it will only be twelve weeks left.
Then it hit me. I’m the luckiest person I know. I have the distinct pleasure of taking thirteen weeks to prepare for the most important event the world has ever known and celebrated. It is so sad to realize there are millions of people that get tired of Christmas. Steve Brown on his program, Key Life, said it so well.  “People are getting tired of celebrating celebrating”. Yes, that is what he said. Millions of people here is Canada and around the world no longer Celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. And Christmas has no real meaning to them. Other than it’s another holiday and an expensive one at that. Remember it’s not a Christmas Tree any more, it’s a Festive Tree & Seasonal Lights.  This is what I think. When you take Jesus Christ out of the celebration of Christmas you just have another holiday like, Labour Day, August 4th or Boxing Day.    
Yes, I’m with many of you out there. Let’s not start the commercials or the row on row of decorations in the isles just yet. It will be here soon enough. And when it is, we will have our minds and hearts in the right place. Are you with me? Is the risen Jesus why you celebrate? Think ahead. Join me in our minds and hearts as we look forward with anticipation to the clear, crisp, star filled night we experience after coming out of the Christmas Eve service where we ended by singing, “Silent Night, Holy Night, All is calm, All is bright . . . Get ready for it.
Something to look forward to.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home