Robin's Nest

Monday, September 02, 2013

New Every Day!

There is just something about getting something new.  Or so I grew up to understand it. When I was a child, getting something new was a big deal. I guess it was because the little our parents had, meant the money was not there to get anything and everything we wanted. We would wait for birthdays, Christmas, Easter and even the first day of school.
Our children have had their back to school stuff for a little while now. Well, a week or so. In the story with the children this week Lisa talked about the newness of those things we get for school. Pencils, paper, pads and even crayons. But the newness doesn’t last. She ended by saying that we can start as something new each and every morning with Jesus.
Our world has changed. So often when I am at the store getting what we need I hear a parent say, “Okay, if you behave yourself, you can get something.”  What!  Are you crazy? If you do that every day you go shopping, these kid will think that something new comes every day.  I can hear them now, “Mom, are you going to the store? ‘Cause I want to come”. And that something new yesterday is yesterdays dirty clothes today.
I was at a store a long time ago and heard the words of the mother to her child and I will never forget it. She told the child, “We don’t have any money to buy anything extra today. Maybe another day.”  And the child accepted that. I think I even wrote about this back then.
I want everyone to know that you can have something new every day. Go for a walk with the kids. Maybe even bike or go look for grasshoppers. Find a board game. There are so many things we can do that we have never done before, you just have to open your mind to something new.  And most of them are free.  The other week as we were putting together a jigsaw puzzle, the grandkid joined us and said it’s the first time they have ever done something like this.
Let’s go beyond that. We can have and experience something new every day when we open our bible.  My bible contains 2400 pages. If I read one page a day it will take me six and a half years to read all the way through.  Six years of something new. And it only cost you fifteen minutes every day.  Did you know that Jesus grandfather was Heli? Well actually his step-grandfather. So, put the paper down and dust off your bible and read to the kids or you spouse or just to yourself. I guarantee you will have something new each day.
Something to think about.
Rob 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home