Robin's Nest

Monday, September 16, 2013

Something Old is Always New

Everyone is well aware that life changes every day. Even the ads on tv wake us to the reality of change in our world. Here is something that caught my attention the other day. I sometime wonder about things I hear people say.  You know, when you hear something, you just want to shake your head. Well, you probably do shake your head. I’ll give you a for instance. I’m watching tv the other night and neglected to mute the sound during the commercials. I know, but it just got away from me. I must have been distracted or something. I was just ready to mute the tenth car commercial I had seen within the last twenty two minutes when I heard those famous words, “And it’s only $47,000. Which, with $50,000 down only comes to $400 bi-monthly for 84 months”. "And it’s only"... are you kidding me?  I didn't realize a number of things from this commercial other than, "And it's only..." But here is one, 84 months must mean the car is going to last longer than it takes to pay it off. And that's a big change from years ago. I know you remember. I guess that car is okay and might be a good thing if you make more than six figures, don’t have a mortgage, no visa or utility bills to pay each month. You know, like someone like that thirty five year old son who lives in the basement rec-room. And has no interest of ever moving on in life. Maybe that’s why “My House Your Money” is so popular with parents whose kids are still at home.
Well, these things got me thinking. We know this and it's nothing new to state that we live in a different society today and society will continue to change all the time whether we like it or not.  I remember my parents saying similar things when I was a young, impressionable, just married individual.  Our parents grew up saving everything. After all they may need it some day.  And my generation has done much of the same thing with saving stuff, but we also can spend when they needed to and enjoy the fruits of their labour.

I just read an article that described the ten differences between the Baby Boomers and the Gen-Y group.  And most of the ten deal with money and each persons concept of what money is about and what it’s for. Yes, life is changing. Society is changing. Times are changing and I’m fine with that. I really am. I would never want to go back to a wringer washer, or a party line or drum brakes, or even corded phones.  And maybe I'm somewhat different then most older adults who do not like change.  But I accept most change easily, after all I am a minister of change in churches that need change. I'm older chronologically, but much younger mentally.
You see, the church has until recently been a organization of change. Just think of John and Charles Wesley. They didn't like the music at church so their father suggested they go and write some new stuff.  And they did. Well over 6000 by Charles alone.  And now as society continues its journey of change, we are joining them. Change is exciting. It's energizing. It's amazing. Well, except for one unchangeable part of what we believe. And it was true when I heard these words in my early Bible School days, “We don’t change the message, just the method”. And that my friends is the truth today just like it was forty five years ago when I first heard those words.  Wait, it was true two thousand years ago when the bible writer wrote in Hebrews 13:8, “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”.  And that my friends is the truth and definitely something to grab hold of.
 Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home