Robin's Nest

Monday, July 29, 2013

The Journey



Summer can be an exciting time. Can you remember back when it was an unpaid holiday? It was a simpler time. Almost something akin to a drive in the country. Today, my wife and I live in a very special place. We can literally get in the car and in less than five minutes, be in the country. And if we were energetic enough, we could walk there in less than a half hour. The reason it takes a half hour is it’s up hill.
Things are different now.  In many cases, holidays are almost always paid for. You check out this place and that place, check the price and the cost of gas to get there, book the week and get ready to go. Sometimes the getting ready was more exciting than the actual vacation but we will save that mess for another time.
As a child, we had none of that. Dad worked all summer in construction which meant we didn’t go much of anywhere. He had to work. And when we did go somewhere, it was usually to visit family. Most of those visits were to our cousins. Every time we were told we were going somewhere we knew, it was to family and probably somewhere nearby. We were still excited!!!  On occasion we had what we considered the best one day vacation. I remember getting in the car and driving down Hwy #2 for a long time, just to go and visit dad’s sister near Woodstock. No, Ontario. We loved going there and being with the cousins and exploring their farm. Did I mention we were excited? There were animals, hide and seek in the barn. Now there was a place to hide. We had so many things to do and experience we never had in the city. And we also knew, it was just for the day. One very long day.
Like you, someone would always be asking, “Are we there yet?” I still say it. Just ask our best friend Anne. After she gives me a clip, just like when I was small, we laugh. Well, except for Anne. . . That’s really what excitement is. The excitement of what is waiting for us at the end of the journey. Admit it, you still have those feeling.
I have them every week. Every Sunday morning I wake up early, excited, with expectancy, already thinking about worshipping God and meeting together with Jesus Christ. And even though I know He is with me wherever I am, there is just something special about coming into church and joining with everyone else to have a one hour vacation from life with Jesus in a special way. That is what church needs to be about. Get excited! Let the excitement move you. Sing with excitement. It’s going and getting a glimpse of what is at the end of life’s journey. Sing with me;
What a day that will be,
When my Jesus I shall see,
When I look upon His face,
The one who saved me by His Grace.
Something to think about!
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home