Robin's Nest

Monday, July 15, 2013

You Asked For It

It’s so easy to wish you were somewhere else.  Remember sitting in your home or office, looking out the window and wishing you were outside? I know we have at times seen people working outside, or pushing a stroller and wishing we were one of them. We thought it was not fair to be cooped up in a building when we could be outside enjoying the fresh air. Maybe there is something to using the words cooped up that chickens know more about than we do.
It may have been we were jealous of them because we really preferred to be somewhere we were not.  Last week, after a week at home with a broken arm, my dear wife decided she had enough of these four walls and she wanted out!!!  I tried to remind her there were more than four walls in the house.  She would have none of it so we went to another building with four walls. I guess it had something to do with just getting out.
But, my thoughts changed this week when I notice those same people who work outside laying new pavement at the new mall, the ones we envied, were saying to themselves, “I would give anything to be in some air conditioning right now.” That’s when we realize every single one of us, at curtain times in our lives, wants to be someone else or somewhere else. Somewhere we are not. 
And that’s fine. The reason its fine is, for the most part we love where we are in life. We love where God has placed us in the amazing world. And the major reason we want to be somewhere else is just for a break from our everyday lives. And that’s what vacations are for.
Many years ago, when I worked at Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant, I knew a number of people who worked their vacation. Okay, I was one of them. But it happened just for one year. After that I realized vacations are so important.  It’s a time to break out of who every day life, out of where we are and why we are. It’s a time of discovering more about life and love and laughter we seldom see in our everyday lives.
I guess that is why a good church can be so important to us one day of the week. It’s a time to get out of ourselves and discover who we are in relations to a God who is watching us and caring for us as we journey through life.  It’s an hour or so outside our normal life. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't He say, six days will you labour, but the seventh day is a day of rest. A day for the Lord. A mini vacation of sorts where we go and think outside ourselves and get to know and worship a God who wants nothing more than to have us come and sit and talk with Him.
“And He walks with me,
And He talks with me, . . .”
I can see Him smiling right now and saying to Himself, “I thought they said they wanted warm weather?”
Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home