Robin's Nest

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Do They Know Him

Have you ever done any research on your family tree? Some people are right into it. They work on it in such a way that it will sometimes become an obsession. Let me say, I don’t go that far. I want only to be obsessed with Jesus. That being said, I do enjoy the research and there have been days that I have been so fixated on the family tree, the hours just disappear.
Take last week for instance. Everything I needed to do for that day was done by 2 p.m. At that time I clicked on the website I go to most often and started researching.  Before I knew it, 8 p.m. had come and gone. At present I am up to somewhere around 25000 names. That’s a lot of people.  And in the mix are all kinds of interesting facts. A widow had a house fire just after Valentine’s Day and all the children, upstairs in bed perished.  There are a good number of twins. One man had three wives and many, many children.  Then there are the blank spaces that we can’t seem to fill. Who were they, where did they live and what did they do?
While working on the tree the other day, I came across a cousin who just happened to have a number of old photos. Amongst them were three photos of the same person, probably taken twenty five or thirty years apart. There was the little child in a sugar sack dress with some lace around the neck and bottom edge. The second picture was the next most important picture in a person’s life, her wedding day. Of course back then when this picture was taken, no one ever smiled. Not supposed to, so I’m told. The last picture was probably her last. Older, or should I say, mature. With the ravages of time etched in her face. At first I thought how wonderful to have these pictures but then I wondered, what was life like for her back in the 'good old days'?
At this point God leaned over my shoulder and said something quite significant. He does that every so often just to shake me up. He asked me if I knew if she knew Him. God don’t do that! I was so enjoying adding person number 24328 to my list. And with pictures none the less. God, why did you do that?
It never takes long to warm to His presence and I settled back to look at those three pictures again. Then, yes then, there was a picture in my minds eye of someone still alive who might not yet know Christ. In a short prayer I asked God to step into their life and if He needs me to introduce them to Him, I am willing.
After all, we all want to get to heaven don’t we?
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home