Robin's Nest

Monday, September 10, 2012

Smile!

Her smile was so infectious as she shared with me that her favourite colour was pink. She was wearing pink so I assumed it when I asked. She kept on smiling. I saw her a few more time that day and each time it was a wonderful smile that made me smile even more. Late in the day I talked to her once more time when I saw her carrying a prize she had won. The smile was contagious and bigger than ever. And so was mine when she told me of the games she played and how she won her prize.
I wonder, how long has it been since we smiled like that? I mean, really smiled? A joy that comes from deep down inside of you and bubbles up making itself know on your face and lips?
As you seek to try and answer that, ask yourself the other question that attaches itself so tightly to it, “And what made you smile?”
Just yesterday I saw many people smiling. We had a big party at the church and at that party I noticed the smiling faces of so many children. The children would win a game, or climb in the air bounce with total abandonment. They know how to play, smile and have fun as they laugh and just enjoy what is happening in the here and now.
The outcome of this experience of laughing and smiling and getting their prize was, the parent smiled along with them. Let's just say, they may have relived something they remember happening to them short years ago. Or maybe it was just the innocent smile on their childs face that brought their own smile. Then it snowballed. From this came more smiles from the people who were volunteering to host the games, the planners, the musicians and even the seniors who were sitting quietly taking this all in. As I continued around the building I notice something amazing. Almost everyone was smiling. It was contagious. It was infectious. It was downright unavoidably spreading from one person to the next, to the next.

All of this was going on around the outside of the church at the party. The question to myself and to you is, why can’t this happen in the church? Oh, I know people smile and laugh before and after service. But what about the excitement, enthusiasm and joy of worshiping a God who is always smiling down on us?

My answer is, it can, and it must. So bring your smile with you to church. Bring your enthusiasm, bring with you the joy of the Lord and your smile might catch on with everyone else.

Something to think about

Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home