Robin's Nest

Monday, October 19, 2009

Smilin' To Myself

I found myself smiling to myself the other day. Call me strange or admit, you have done it as well. It just happened while I was driving along by myself. Just before this interesting experience, I had offered a friend a ride home. When they got in the car, I turned the radio off so we could talk. Nothing too deep but not ephemeral either. It’s not a long drive from where we started to their home but it was nice to have time to just talk and say hello.
Our lives are filled with all kinds of conversations. Some never get beyond the nice day, how are you talks. Others go deeper with each passing conversation when all at once you realize you have a friend and you are a friend. Our conversation that day was somewhere in between. Just enough time to open the door a little more and see the heart within. I pray it was reciprocal. Two things happened that morning. First I missed the turn. We were so enjoying the conversation, I actually missed the turn. Secondly, we now had a few more minutes together as we traveled those extra few blocks. It was such a great day. A short stop at the side walkway and I was on my way again. Didn’t even turn the radio on.
And then it happened, I was smiling to myself. Life felt good all around me. It wasn’t anything we said to each other, it most likely wasn’t anything we shared in that morning at the lodge. How can I explain this? It just felt great to be alive and to be with someone else who enjoys being alive as much as me.
Some people do that to us. Just being with them we feel better about the world, about them, about ourselves, and they about us. Maybe that was it. Maybe. I knew it was a better day just by having spent time with a friend. But then I smiled when I thought of the possibility that I inspired the same feeling in someone else. I think I did and I do.
How would we feel if we were to walk beside the Son of God. Maybe walking along the beach talking and listening. Hearing what He is talking about and listening to the soft sound of the waves coming ashore and feeling the warm sun in the cloudless azure blue sky beating down on both our shoulders. Would we be smiling? Maybe that is what happened last week. Maybe I drove with Jesus unaware.
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home