Robin's Nest

Monday, October 05, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving


Happy Thanksgiving!

Over the years I have written a number of things about the 24 hours of Thanksgiving. They were not necessarily about the day, but more about the objects of Thanksgiving. On other occasions I wrote about being thankful every day. Some would say it’s normal and expected for all of us to be thankful especially on the second Monday of October. I on the other hand would probably say, on that specific day I have exceptions - turkey, cabbage and cranberry sauce.
We are blessed here in Canada to have our lives filled with so many specific special calendar days. Most are specifically set aside to celebrate things we cherish in life, like Mother’s and Father’s Day. Many more have to do with people, birthdays, anniversaries, Canada Day, Easter, Christmas . . . you get the idea. In fact most of you may not realize that Oct. is Minister Appreciation Month with the first Sunday of October being, Minister Appreciation Sunday. Too late. Maybe next year.
I think that each one of these special days and celebrations have significance to most of us. This is over against the grouchy old man within me who would sometimes say we should put them all on the same day, get it over with and relax the rest of the year . . . Not really. A number of years ago I wrote about the significance of each and every weekend. I love it, can’t keep up with them, but I love it. I actually have a weekly calendar sent to my inbox to tell me of all the special days coming up in the next week. The reason I do this is, I don’t want to miss one of them. Yes, there is some frivolity, while others stir our hearts. Ice Cream Day in June was one of my favourites, while, Kiss a Fool Day, is a little further down the list.
Lucky for all of us, we have one that stands out high above all the rest. We call it Sunday. If we think back to a simpler time, we can remind ourselves it was called, The Lord’s Day. It comes once a week, every week, not because we need to be reminded but because He is deserving of our worship and praise. In a week, 168 hours, God is faithful to walks with us and talks with us and He tell us we are His own. What does it take for us to spend one of those hours, thanking Him?
Especially on Thanksgiving Sunday.
Something To Think About
Rob
Happy Thanksgiving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home