Robin's Nest

Monday, October 12, 2009

It's A Struggle

Living the Christian life is not an easy one for someone who is so human. But then again, losing weight and being on a diet isn’t too easy either. By the way, this is for those who struggle with both. It is such a struggle for many of us to keep the weight off. The doctor once said, “you could afford to lose a few pounds.” Nice and polite. We smile and say we will try. As time marched on, or is that past us, there were a few more chocolate bars, sugar-coated deserts and then the next doctors visit. This time she said, “I see you’ve gained a few more pounds.” I didn’t know if it was a statement or question so I just smile and acted coy. I guess it shows in our freshly acquired wardrobe.
The next visit is not a happy one. For four or five days we have tried to lose the ten extra pounds we have put on since the last visit. Oh, we feel fine but we know she is also going to say something about, “you are at that age you know.” There you sit, ready to hear those dreaded words. But they don’t come like they use too as hints or suggestions. They come with a word no one ever wants to hear, “You are over weight and you need to get serious. You need to lose that weight, after all, being 50 with baby fat isn’t cute any more.” We are cut to the bone. Time to do something or so you say on your way through the donut drive through.
So then we wonder about the Christian life. At first it is new and exciting and the love you feel in your heart is amazing. Jesus has made you new and sent to Holy Spirit to live in you.
Oops. I can’t believe I did that. The New Testament writer said it better then me, “the things I should do I don’t do and the things I shouldn’t do I do.” Words to not live by. We, or I should refer back to the many of us, struggle. As with weight, we struggle living the life God intended for us. A life of joy, peace, love and hope. All wonderful things we so desperately needed before Christ. And now, we are having difficulty. Life is getting in the way. Too much time out of God’s presence and more time in our own. Life is a struggle and just like a diet, it takes time and energy and commitment and determination, and dedication to Christ to walk the way He laid it out.
I have encouraging words for you. If we struggle, it tells us God is near. If we don’t struggle, we forgot Him. We have not forgotten the one who will never forget us. The wonderful difference I feel and you feel is God doesn’t have to remind us, He just stands there with tears in His eyes and we know.
I’m on both diets, are you?
Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home