Robin's Nest

Monday, September 14, 2009

Ain't it Funny...

Have you ever received a letter in the mail unexpectedly? Ever been sitting around, vegging and the phone rings. It’s someone you have not talked too in ages. Or, now with our electronic age, an incoming email from someone you have not communicated with in a long time?
It happens to all of us. Yes, I know. We’re busy. There are so many things to do. Willie Nelson said it well; Well, hello there!
My, it's been a long, long time . . .
How am I doin' ? Oh, I guess I'm doin' fine
It's been so long now, and it seems that it was only yesterday
Gee! ain't it funny, how time slips away?
After all, we have work, and the kids. There is the house cleaning, yard work, taking out the garbage, and even that most despised activity of shopping.
All of us have full lives. Willie had it right, time slips away. Before we know it, we are asking ourselves, “Where did the time go.” Some of you are saying that about the summer of 2009. Or should we say, “the summer not of 2009.” At the lodge where I go every week, I hear resident after resident say to me, “No, they have not been in lately, but I know they are busy.”
It doesn’t take much thought to realize we also involve ourselves with nonsense activities. You can name them just as well as I can. Now don’t send me letters, I’m just wondering if we have our priorities right. How many times have you heard someone say they have to get going because their favourite show is on? I have even heard people say, they need some down time to relax and read a book, soak up some rays or just watch the grass grow. Now don’t get me wrong, I do some of them to. We all do. But . . . but can’t we do those things with others?
Our lives are full. But are they full of the right things. Before you know it you will say, why didn’t I do that or this or the other. Why didn’t I go and visit someone, or call them or write a letter, even an email? Read that, not just sending a forward.
For some who are reading this, the person that has drifted to the back of our minds and heart is Jesus Christ. Where once we knew Him intimately, we just breeze by Him each day. Our excuses are the same, too much to do and not enough time in the day. Stop for a minute, didn’t He make each minute? Maybe we need to see him before we see all those others who love us and whom we love.
You see, before we know it, someone, will no longer be here to share life with. Someone who was part of our life will be gone forever. Someone we not only knew, but someone we loved and shared life with, sitting together watching the grass grow. The key word is together. After all the someone gone, may be you.
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home