Robin's Nest

Monday, September 21, 2009

I'm First!

Don’t you just hate them? I mean, really? Who do they think they are anyway? We have all been there when someone pushes themselves to the front of what is happening and declares to everyone else, “I can do it better then the rest of you all combined!” And as my mom used to say, “I never!” Well, yes we have.
When something like this happens we might be kind and say to ourselves, or if we have the nerve, out loud, they are rude and unnerving but let it go. On the other hand, would you rather be like James and his brother John who in Luke 9:54 wanted to call fire down from heaven and consume them. There are times. “God, their getting in the way!!! Do something!”
There is another scenario where people think themselves more important. I was at the grocery store the other day, last Friday to be exact and there were a lot of people shopping the first day of the flyers. The store was packed. Most of the carts were being used which also meant there was a back-up at the cash. So I cruised around for a few more minutes and things started to clear. By the time I arrived back to the front of the store, there were only three people in line at each checkout. At this store, I try to think ahead so I can get out as quickly as possible. Instead of just standing there, I decided to leave my cart in the line and go past the check out and get a couple of boxes to put the groceries in. While I was gone, guess what happened? Yup, you know. Some important person . . . sorry, yes, there she was, looking all around but not at me. I presume she realized it wasn’t a good idea so she backed off and resumed her previous position and all was well with the world.
I wonder how it looks, looking down? From God’s perspective. Don’t we sometimes put ourselves first in God’s place? Maybe I’m the problem. Maybe I get in God's way. Someone said, “The difference between where I am with the Lord and where I should be is the difference between the God I want and the God who is.”
He wants to do something in this world, in our lives and in our heart and we get in the way. We push Him aside and take control. I wonder if He thinks about calling fire . . . No, probably not. After all, He loves us. A number of months ago I read something that keeps coming to the front of my mind. It was this statement; we are part of God’s History. Yes, we think of ourselves as moving and contributing to history, the history of our country, of your family, even our church. But really, its God’s history and we are part of his. Take your place and let God do the rest. Just get in line and be ready when He calls. He will you know.
Something to think about
Rob

2 Comments:

Blogger DIANE STEPHENSON said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:02 pm GMT-4  
Anonymous Diane said...

(Sorry! Didn't mean to delete that post - I hadn't even clicked on publish yet! Here it is again.)

How true! It shows the complete contrast of what the world does and what God desires us to do - be humble and take the lower place so He can exalt us in His time. Thanks for posting this.

God bless,
Diane

12:06 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home