Robin's Nest

Friday, October 23, 2009

Never Alone

There is one in every crowd. But that depends on how big the crowd is. So, I guess we need to say, there is one in every group of ten people. Does that sound reasonable? Okay, we will let that stand. Not knowing what the statistics is we will go with that. We also have to remember that 80% of all statistics are probably wrong or made up to suit the situation.
Suffice to say there is one close by you.
At church the other month I noticed the one. They are the ones that just sit there and quietly observe and take it all in. Whatever “all” is. Seldom do they stand around with all the other talkers. Probably because they don’t believe they have much to say. Not that they don’t have much to say, because they probably do.
We are all the same. All created by God with two eyes, two ears and one mouth. For some people, you would think they have more then one mouth was ever meant to say. I look at it this way, I need to hear twice as much as I say. For a preacher, it’s hard . . . sometimes really hard. I even know some people who went into the ministry because they like the sound of their own voices. Not a good reason.
But back to the person, sitting quietly taking it all in. At the time, I figured it was time to talk to them. As I walked toward the person, their head went down and I believe they were trying to blend into the woodwork and were probably, because their head was down, praying I would keep walking past them. I didn’t. In fact, I sat down beside them and engaged them.
Interesting what you learn when you sit down and take time to listen. I had a delightful time with them that morning and so begun a new friendship with someone who not only has lots to say, but now has someone to say it to.
I also learned something else. They needed me as much as I needed them. No one comes to church to be alone. No one is in this life to be alone. We are all in need of each other. Yes, we all have Jesus who is there listening to our every cry, but . . .
I have been in a lot of churches over the years. I have met a lot of people and developed lots of friendships. In all those years, none of them have been insignificant. I am what I am, because of those who touched my life and the lives I have touched.
In the middle of it all, is Jesus. Was it Jesus who prompted me to walk over and sit down? Maybe. All I know is, I have a new friend who has a friend who listens. The winter won’t be as cold and alone, start a new friendship today. Go ahead, walk over, sit down.
Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home