Robin's Nest

Monday, October 19, 2015

Storage Wars



I’m almost fully convinced that the next generation has something right. Mind you, it may only be just one thing right. Let me explain. That one thing is what they have grown to call themselves, and that is, ‘minimalists’. Which is a polite way of saying they only want to have what they need. No knickknacks for them, no doilies, no clutter, and no stuff sitting around gathering dust, which may also mean only one bible each. How did I come to this conclusion you might ask?
Well it started with asking my kids what they want out of our home when we either downsize or are gone to heaven. Not morbidly mind you. Almost as a chorus they answered, “Nothing”.
It was then that I started to think more about my stuff. While it played games in my head I found myself watching the idiot box. On it I came across a number of reality shows that demonstrate what I’m beginning to learn.  It started with ‘Storage Wars’ where people actually have to pay rent on a storage unit to keep the stuff they possess that won’t fit in the house anymore and they forget about them and someone else bids on buying all your old stuff. This spawned one in Canada, one in LA., one in . . . okay you get the drift.
Then there was another program where a company would come into your garage and clean it out for free. Their reward for cleaning up your ‘stuff was, they get to keep everything and sell it to pay the expenses. The latest one that I saw for the first time this past week is one that cleans out your attic. Don’t you just love brainless reality tv? There were lots of stairs and lots of calories being burned going up and down. I got so tired just watching them for two minutes I had to turn it off and catch a nap.
Before I drifted off I asked myself, what about my attic and my garage, and my cellar? Maybe I don’t have a storage unit I rent but I do have another building way out back of my very full garage for the summer garden stuff.
Maybe the next generation does have it right. But then the bible had it right thousands of years ago when God in His infinite wisdom said to all of us, “I will supply your every need”. MMMMMMM. Makes you think doesn’t it?
Something to think about.
 Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home