Robin's Nest

Monday, February 17, 2014

Going For Gold

It’s at times like this that we can really understand what Paul meant when he wrote I Corinthians. 9:24-27; “I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave.” For four long years, even longer for some, these Olympic Athletes have train extremely hard. They eat only the right things. Which means no chocolate and means I’m already out of contention to even apply. They have exercised the right way. They have done things over and over again and again just to get it right. It has become more than a routine. It may now be considered a habit they have perfected so well they no longer have to think about what they are doing. Every one of them has only one chance to get it right and get it perfect at just the right moment. They have one focus and one focus only. They don’t just want to do their personal best, they want to be the worlds best, and that means doing it perfectly. Now there is a word few can connect to in relations to anything we do.
A long time ago, when I first approached ministry I desired to be one of the best preachers around. Don’t think I made it but I do the best I can and leave the rest to God. I read the books, I took the courses, I even listened to great preachers. Still do. The truth is, some of it helped but not much and I realized I could only work with what I have.  But back then, when Paul was writing about it, he knew what the prize was, he knew what he had to do and he did it.
Maybe that is what God through Paul is saying to us. If we want to be all that God wants us to be, we need to work at it, to train and get better at being a true follower of Jesus Christ. We need to focus and we definitely need to get the best trainer there is. That trainer is Jesus Christ himself. He will guide us on life’s spiritual journey with the prize of meeting His Father when get home before the dark. And unlike these young athletes, we are getting better the older we get.  Maybe that's why some of us are already cramming for finals. So, how’s your training going?
Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home