Robin's Nest

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Gift That Never Grows Old

I received a special gift a long time ago.  It was not the gift that I was hoping for. In fact I didn’t even know it was something that I wanted and needed until it was mine.  You see, Christmas to me back then  was letting mom and dad know what I wanted. It had nothing to do with not deserving or deserving anything.  After all, I thought I was pretty good for me. Well, most of the time.

I would sit there in front of the tv at 4 pm every week day and watch Santa Claus and his overgrown elf, Forgetful. It was a home grown program being beamed out to everyone around Buffalo that could get the signal. Of course, we had no idea in those days that the show had to be paid for by someone. And there it was after every show. A commercial for something I hounded my parents to get me.

Mom and Dad would come home and the first thing out of my mouth was, “I want . . . Many times it was the same thing. Other times it just happened to be something another sponsor was peddling. But I wanted it and now! A funny thing about this desire for this and that, it always seemed to change. One year it was a toboggan and another year it was a Mechano set,  or a riding tractor. Yes, it always seemed to be something. Just so you know, my brother was the same. I guess we were just normal kids looking for something from our parents or Santa. It’s not much different today. Kids still say to their parents and grandparents, “I want. . .” And we parents give because they love our children.

The special, best gift I ever received did not come in a box all wrapped with brightly coloured paper and beautiful ribbon. It didn’t come from a store down the street. It didn’t even come in the mail or delivered by Royal Post.  No tarnishing, no plastic to break or wires to fray. It was something better than anything I had ever seen or had in my whole life, not only up until then but even now these too many years later. This gift came to me to be mine forever.

It was also something that I learned could be shared and given away any time I wanted to. I could give it to anyone I wished and in doing so, I never lost it or misplaced it. It was always right there where I put it. The gift I received that wonderful night was God's gift to me. God gave His Son, Jesus Christ to me. God said He loved me and cared for me. Even more than my parents. He loved me unconditionally and like my parents, He continues to forgive me for the mistakes I make. He wraps His loving arms around me when I’m hurting or lonely or depressed or discouraged. He is there every minute of every day, taking care of me. And Jesus, the best gift of all, walks with me and I hold His nail scared hand in mine, or does the nail pierced hand hold mine? No matter how I look at God's gift, it makes me feel wonderful.

Have you received your gift yet?
I pray you do. Just ask.
Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home