Robin's Nest

Monday, May 06, 2013

I'll Do It When . . .



Have you ever said this line, or maybe you heard someone else say it? “I’m going to do it when . . . “. Thought you might.  We all say it. We say it when we are making plans. We even say it when we are going through life.  It can be completed like this, “I’ll do that when I get out of school”. Or how about, “I’ll do it when I find the right girl/boy and get married.” Or even, “I’ll do it when I retire.”
Did you know that this is not a copout? It’s not even procrastination.  I think it’s more of a statement saying, you or I are not ready and until I am . . . Are you ready? Yes, I know the song, One Day at a Time sweet Jesus. But I also know, Victory in Jesus. I think, feel, and believe that we may never be ready to do the things that present themselves.
I remember back a long time ago when I graduated out of Bible College that I was ready to take on the church. Any church, just give me the church and we would change the community and the world for Jesus.  That was until I went for my first interview. Oh it went very well. Nice people and very gracious. I even thought I answered their questions fairly well. It was what I thought to myself late that night as I lay there waiting for sleep to envelope me. And I thought, “am I ready for this, or do I need more schooling?
You see, I had said that I would jump into the first church that would take me and do the ministry God was calling me to. I thought I was ready, trained, coached, mentored, guided and taught what I needed to know to do ministry but in the back of my mind I didn’t know if I was really ready. And that’s the where we sit if we believe we are not yet ready.
Are you ready? Do you have enough training? Have you practised enough? Do you think everything is in place to get going? Many years ago I heard of a basketball player who practised 3 point shots for hours after all the other players had gone home. He wanted to be the best at this type of shot. And he was. But most of us are not like that. We are just like the rest of his team. But that is okay, because we may never be ready and because of that we just need to get out there and try.
Moses never led a nation into the desert before. David never killed a man before. Peter never preached before. But each of these men did something amazing for God by just being available and doing it because God called them. Because when God calls, He also equips. Life is calling.  Don’t put anything off again because life is not ready or you don’t think you are ready. God is calling you. So, as Nike said a number of years ago, “Just Do It!”
Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home