Robin's Nest

Monday, January 21, 2013

Hurry Up And Wait!

Is waiting easy for you?  Just wondering out loud. Interesting what the dictionary says about waiting. There are a number of options but this one stood out to me which said, “to delay moving forward as others catch up.” For many people waiting is not something they are good at. Me, it’s not usually a problem.
A few years ago now, I was to meet another person for coffee. The problem was, I was at the wrong coffee shop. When I realized it, I was forty five minutes late and there he sat patiently, waiting. He knew I would be there sometime. Of course I have done the same thing. Waited for someone as well, with patients I might add. If you are in the right frame of mind, time goes by quickly as you don’t mind the wait as you sit and watch people and just enjoy the moment.
Then there is waiting to board the plane, or waiting in line to check out. Ladies in waiting. How about waiting ‘till your father gets home.  Can you think of one yourself? Wait on tables? There definitely are different times and ways of waiting.  One of the more interesting definitions I came across is this one; “to be ready and available.” My brother is just that right now.  You see he is a snow plow operator.  He sits, listens to the weather report hourly and then, if he is needed he is ready for the call.  If he is not needed, he gets a good night sleep. (For those who love the Lord, are you ready for His call?)
For Christ followers there are other times of waiting when we ask God for something. Things like peace in our lives, or healing, or help with an emotional, physical, spiritual problem, or even some enlightenment, what is my purpose? We even ask that He do something. But He is not our servant, we are His. And so we wait for that moment when we have a chance to hear His voice. That to is waiting. And sometimes it’s a long wait and we’re tired. Real tired. We ask, Where are you? Or, Are you there? What then? David wrote a wonderful line in Ps. 40, “I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.”
I believe if David received an answer, we will receive one as well. I also realize that the waiting is hard and long and our patience is getting thin. That is until I think of how long God had to wait for us to come to Him in the first place. Oh my.
Isaiah waited a long time to. And just like millions of people before us and many more coming after us, we will hear the echo of Isaiah’s words in our hearts; “but those who wait in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31
The best part of God is He always hears and He always answers. Just wait, He will answer, you’ll see.
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home