Robin's Nest

Monday, November 05, 2012

42% Will What?



Are you a statistics person?  I just love to hear facts and numbers. The reason that I am asking is due to a statistic that I heard come through the news wire service this past week.  It stated that the human body is made up of approximately 60% water. Really? Way back when, I remember my teacher telling us that our bodies were made up of over 80% water.  Well, after hearing the story, I decided to check it out. And you should always check out things you hear and especially read in those pesky fwds we get in our inboxes.  What I found out astounded me. Here goes. Babies and Children have just under 80% water and this percentage decreases with age and also decreases the more we weigh. I didn’t know that.
This new information, to me that is, lead me to the line I heard a long time ago. “72% of all statistics are made up.” Now, that one always gets my attention.  Over the years I have read, Barna, Bibby, and others on church statistics. Even read some of our own Canadian statistics. Some are very informative while others just make me scratch my bald head.
Two other quotes about stats that come to mind are these. First there is a quote from Steve Brown. A wonderful preacher from Orlando FL. who says, “Fifty percent of what I tell you is wrong, the problem is, I don’t know what 50%. You can listen to him on the computer at KeyLife. You will like him. Not only do I agree with him on that one but I might have to say I’m there as well. God has not given me all the answers. A mother standing beside a dying new born asks, “Why?” My answer to her, “I don’t know”. And I don’t.
The second stat is what I learned long ago, maybe 1970. “Fifty percent of all our decisions in life will be wrong”. Really? That’s not a good average. But then I thought, many of our decisions are of no consequences. Who cares if yellow beans are the wrong ones to go with fish? My concern is that the big decisions, the life changing decision, are right. Going to the right school, dating the right person, even going to the right church?
Statistics tell us so many things. Here is one last statistic for you to ponder. Seventy two percent of the people you know will come to church if you invite them. And 100% of everyone you know need Jesus Christ in their life just like you do, because, if we include Him in our decisions, then our percentages on the major decisions of life will change in a most positive way. Maybe we need to include Him in all our decisions?
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home