Robin's Nest

Monday, January 04, 2010

Snow!

It’s winter. I know, was that my first guess? Hibernation is a good thing for those of us who can. For those who can’t, try to enjoy the winter we have. It’s part of being Canadian and I know there is so much beauty in this world even in winter. Looking out our window this week I saw wonderfully green cold grass. No snow. No pure white blanket covering the earth. It would be nice to see some snow. If only for a little while. Well, it arrived last night, all 3cm of it. I believe God made snow for a reason. Yes, the farmers will tell me it’s to provide the earth with slow release moisture in the early spring thaw. Others will say it’s to cover the hard brown ugly dirt and make the world look amazing.
Just last week I decided to sort through all our pictures. Now this is a major undertaking. Not only are there twenty albums covering the last fifteen years but there are 10 albums filled with pictures of another time and other places. I am so fortunate to have inherited a number of albums from my ancestors. Some dating back before my grandfather was thought of.
Most are of people. My people. People whom I know about but didn’t come along early enough to meet or at least to be held by them.
On my dad’s side I have pictures of family reunions. There is also a picture of three mischief makers. Arms around each other and you know, they are going to be up to something very soon after the picture is taken. It was probably 1932. There they are, dad, his brother Oscar and cousin Jim. All, close to the same age and probably ready for some fun.
On mom’s side there were the same sort of pictures with a couple of exceptions. Mom’s grandparents lived in the small town of Moosomin. It isn’t unusual to turn a couple of pages and see people standing beside a mountain of snow blown up near the back of the house by those western winds. Remember that Moosomin is in southern Saskatchewan. Way out there where winter shows up one day and doesn’t leave for six months.
I see some amazing things in all those pictures. I see people enjoying the life they have with what they have, where they are and in all kinds of situations. Was life wonderful back then? Yes, it was. It was different and for them, it was wonderful.
It is the same today. Twenty years from now, I would say fifty years from now, my great grandchildren will go through these forty albums and see the same things I see. People enjoying people and sharing in a life that is amazing no matter where you are or who you are with or what you are doing. Even when it snows.
For life is filled with the wonder of winter, just as it is filled with the fragrance of summer flowers. God made it all. He made it for Himself and decided to create us so He would have someone to share it with. So, we enjoy His handiwork.
What an amazing world God created. In the dark cold days of winter I really think it’s time to put the pictures down, your paper down and go enjoy God’s creation. Take along some family or friends. Oh and don’t forget the camera.
Something to think about.
Rob










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home