Robin's Nest

Monday, December 14, 2009

Silent Night

It was indeed a silent night. For me, it was an early day just like most other Sundays. With only one eye open I checked the red illuminated numbers beaming out of the small box on the night table. Yup, it’s early. Too early even for me. So I rolled over and lay there. Like most mornings my mind started thinking, too quickly, too many things too early. Or should I say too late in the night? Doesn’t matter, there I lay until I couldn’t take it any longer. As I felt the bite of the cold 130 year old boards beneath my feet, I knew it was the point of no return. Up and at em. It’s time. The early hour attributed two wonderful things. One was a quiet time that matches no other and the second, the realization I need not rush. Gingerly making my way down those unmistakable creaking stairs, trying not to wake sleeping beauty, I found myself looking out our double front door windows. All was calm. Not a person in sight, not a beam of some cars headlights, not even our neighbourhood skunk. There was no breeze, no snow, no anything to remind us it’s winter and it’s cold out there. Realizing how wonderful it was, I thanked God and started my day. A long time ago in another life I learned from parishioners in Sask. that we don’t need the radio on to have company. Sunday morning was one of those mornings. As in Saskatchewan, I turned on the weather channel only long enough to know how today would be. Nice. It didn’t take long for me to settle with the monitor in front of me and to catch up on the email that had invaded my computer over night. Nothing of importance and Turn off Computer was the last I read. Now I had time to think about all that God had told me during the week. It would be a good day. God was there and that is all that I needed. As with everyone else, the early morning had vanished and we were on our way to church. The drive had it’s moments with weather but nothing to input in a journal or anything like that. Advent was definitely in the air and in the decorations and order of worship. Just as quickly as we came, it was time to go. Onward, outward and forward into the rest of our day. Do you try to squeeze in an opportunity to close their eyes each Sunday. It was for us as well. Not long for me, just 15 minutes to recharge and move into a normal routine. It was turning into a great day. Had one of those lately? Or are you too stressed about . . . well, you know. Our day moved on with dinner, and dishes and put everything away. Christmas specials to watch and visit with an old friend. And that was it. Or so I thought. While turning out all the Christmas lights I found myself again looking out of our front window. All was calm. I tarried longer that night. Just stood there enjoying a moment with God. Oh He was there. In those brief moments, I saw in my minds eye those glorious wonderful moments what must have happened so long ago, so far away. I also saw that God gave us, not a gift we hold in our hands but Himself. A real live person. Maybe that is what we are to give each other? Ascending the stairs, they creaked under foot just the same as when I descended them so many hours before. It wasn’t long before I was settled in bed, being warmed by the comforter and the realization, that God was saying to me and to us all. Sleep in heavenly peace. Sleep in heavenly peace. Something to think about. Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home