Robin's Nest

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Sunrise

It was dark the other night. Very dark in fact. The neighbour had actually turned off their porch light. There were no moon and no stars. The cloud cover was thick and high. It didn’t even reflect the city light thousands of feet below. It was dark and still. I got up early and not wanting to wake anyone else I left the lights off. Groping in the dark I made my way out of the room, down the stairs and into the office. All without bumping into something or stubbing my toes, plural, or even tripping on things not in their place.
Can you remember one of those nights? Where the term, black as coal fitly describes the dark. You get up and make your way. You believe you know where everything is and you take one step at a time, slowly. We move cautiously from one room to the next. Being familiar with your home, it can be easy unless you have kids who leave their toys everywhere. Not here either but I though I would push your memory back a little. I too remember the pain and the words I didn’t use.
As I listen to the ticking of the clocks in our home, I notice like you have many times, light coming up in the eastern sky. At first there is just enough to make out the shadows of the trees and building. Then more is revealed. We begin to see more then outlines. We see all that has been there all the time. There are the two chairs left out all winter, the chimes in the pear tree. We had heard them in the gentle breeze but now we see them. The picnic table, the solar lamps long out after the energy is gone. We just couldn’t see any of it until the light came and the sun arose.
That is exactly what happens in our lives when we live in darkness. My bible tells me about living in darkness. In fact I only have to think back a couple of month to remind myself of the verse that said, “The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined . . . ”
Isaiah was telling us about getting to see. For many, the light is too bright like the noon day sun that Andre Crouch writes in his song, He’s the Light. They run from it and hide. They close their eyes and put on masks to shelter their eyes from a light that shows every imperfection. We don’t want anyone to know about . . . So we hide and ask Jesus to supply just enough light. What we believe is just enough.
The Great Light of Jesus is there not to reveal our imperfections, but it’s there to guide us. Remember these words;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Great is Thy faithfulness,
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me,
The light actually reveals more of God’s mercy directed toward us. He is not looking at our imperfections. He is allowing us to see Him and His presence in our lives. When we allow our eyes to fully adjust to the light of Christ, we will see Him as He is. And we will have found our way.
Jesus is the light of the world.
Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home