Robin's Nest

Monday, January 26, 2009

An Open Door

As I was concentrating on my emails, the other morning I opened one of my daily emails that always has a picture attached. What appeared before me was an old derelict home. It didn’t look great compared to the mansions on the hill top but it possessed a certain beauty. Even started going over those words in my mind: “I’ve got a mansion, Just over the hilltop. In that bright land, where we’ll never grow old.” At first I couldn’t place it. I found myself just staring at the picture. The multi layers of peeling paint were chipped and dried. The window pains were cracked with pieces missing or missing all together. There was beauty in that picture. The photographer saw it, I saw. I saw the door missing with only a couple of shards of wood still screwed to the two simple hinges.
At one time it would have been home to someone, maybe a whole family. It had a certain charm that drew me to just sit and take it in. After a while I realized what I was looking at.
There was more in this picture then I realized. I saw my life and yours. The picture told it all. It told of the ravages of time and the storms it’s been through. I saw the pain and the sorrow, the hard roads we have all traveled and I hoped beyond hope for a renewal of this home, yearning and searching for something new. Maybe someone will come and . . .
But what was it that kept me staring? The peeling paints, some broken windows, missing door and the refuse of time at the doorway. Looking beyond all we see, we yearn for something more, something better, just something. Looking for something in this picture that would bring each and every one of us some hope. Then it hit me, there it was. It was the open door, or more correctly, the missing door.
Jesus said, “Behold I stand at the door and knock, if anyone opens the door, I will come in.” This is the answer. We sit behind our doors closed, isolating ourselves and trying on our own to weather the storms of life. There is still time for all of us to swing wide the door of our hearts and invite Jesus in. We need not just sit there huddled inside waiting for the knock from a nail scared hand. Fling open the door and wait for Him. He said he is going to be there. So open the door, rip it off the hinges and wait for Him with expectance. Remember what Paul said, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” He is coming.
He is coming now.
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home