Robin's Nest

Monday, August 04, 2008

I didn't know that!


I believe it was Plato who first coined the phrased. Not sure but sounds good to me. What he is supposed to have said is, “you don’t know what you don’t know.” For many of us, we would have to read that again and much slower . . . By then we will say it’s true and followed it by one of two lines, “Ya, so?” or “Don’t care.”
In either case we most likely will wander away from that statement thanking God for what we do know. And be assured, we know lots of things. Just ask a two year old what they have to go to get their way and they will tell you in great detail. Now move forward 10 years and you will most likely meet a person who knows it all and believes you have no idea.
Some professionals have difficulty with admitting they don’t know and even if they don’t know they will make up something just so they appear to know or sound intelligent. Now, realize that this is different then the people we call, “Know It Alls.” Most of these type of people, we avoid. Why do we avoid them? Probably because they make us look like we don’t know anything and that hurts. After all, we do know lots of things. In fact I would say that each one of us knows a lot about something, and something about most things. Well, we get by don’t we?
At some point we come to the realization that what we know is something we don’t really need to know. I don’t need to know how grass grows, or how a seed germinates. But I do need to know that God makes it work.
As you read this paper this morning, recognize those moments when you read something for the first time and say it to yourself, “I didn’t know that.” Go ahead, say it with me, “I didn’t know that.” At this exact point you will now know what you didn’t know.
By now you will be wondering what on earth I am talking about. Most Sunday mornings as I walk to Tim Horton’s to get Deborah a coffee I see so many people going about doing everything but going to church and meeting with God. They are consumed by what is on their agenda and don’t even give lip service to God and what He does for all of us. They do not even acknowledge He even exists. I wonder if God say, “You’re an atheist? Sorry I don’t believe in atheists.”
And I wonder, do they not know what they don’t know? My bible tells me, how can they know without a teacher. Maybe that is why we are here and just maybe, we can ask them about what they know and share what we know. And what we do know is:
But I know Whom I have believed,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed
Unto Him against that day.
Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home