Robin's Nest

Sunday, May 04, 2008

There's A New Name, Written Down In Glory...

I had one of those days the other day. While purchasing something on the internet I had to put in who I was. I know, your saying, “dah.” But no. There is that spot that you click on and down drops the options, Mr., Mrs., Ms, Dr., etc. Now some people call me Reverend, but I’m not. And a long time ago my pastor said to me, “Don’t call me Rev. because it’s just a title.” But when that drop down option comes down, who do you say you are?
That had me thinking of my name. Names say a lot, don’t they? As some of you know, my real first name is Robert. Let me tell you how I got that. By the time my mother became pregnant with me there were three other children in the family, two older girls and a boy. This was before ultrasound and no one knew what sex the child was before it was born. Mom wanted a girl. I guess that after having two wonderful girls and my brother, she said to herself that a girl is better. With wanting a girl, she decided right from the start that she wanted to call her, Robin. After a long summer of pregnancy before air-conditioning, nothing was going to ruin it for her and this wonderful girl, Robin.
And then . . . I was a boy. Well after thinking of the unborn child as Robin for so long the name stayed. This of course upset her grandfather greatly. He felt that with an older brother named Paul, I should be called Peter. So he always called me Peter. I still have glimpses of him walking with me in the old neighbourhood, and listening to my endless chatter.
When our first child was coming along, we bought the book, “Baby Names.” At night time before we settled into bed, we would read a few pages and read some names. It became a ritual of sorts for a while and we liked some, hated others and wondered about others. The really neat thing about names is, they have meanings. Robin means, bright and famous, which is another thing that I am not. I guess our oldest daughters name fits. It is German, stolen from the French, Charles, meaning FREE. And she is.
When I read my bible, I have come to notice something about names. Many times, when a person gives their life to God, He changes their name. Within the Roman Church, I know that children at baptism are given a bible name, added to their regular name.
As I look at the drop down lists I wonder, what name does God call me? I have, we have, been adopted as sons and daughters of the King and He has changed us. We are part of His family and He has given us a new name and that name is written in the Lamb’s Book of Life. When we get to heaven, we will hear Him call out name and we will know it and know Him.
I believe part of our new name is the very name of His Son. We call ourselves Christians. So we are. Maybe soon we should start to live up to our name, which means, anointed, and follower of Christ. Are you living up to your name?
“For there's a new name written down in glory,
And it's mine, O yes, it's mine!
With my sins forgiven I am bound for Heaven,
Never more to roam.”
Something to think about.
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home