Robin's Nest

Monday, December 09, 2019

Make A Mental Note - Don't Forget...


We are a society that counts things. As we go through Advent, we seem to be counting things even more. It starts with counting down the days until Christmas arrives. Do you have one of those ornaments that you change the numbers every morning? Many of us count the days by using an Advent calendar. Open the little ‘date’ door and you receive an anticipation treat.

My wife and I had a yearly conversation just the other day. It went something like this: “Have you finished your shopping?” And then, “Who have you still to buy for?” That was when she started rhyming off what’s done and what’s not done. This all happened while I was driving so I didn’t remember much.

The most concerning counting, beyond the presents can be summed up in the phrase, “Are you ready”.  Do you have, is there enough, are we missing someone, have we forgotten something? These lists keep us on our toes. After all, we don’t want to get to Dec. 24th at 6pm realizing, we are not ready and you forgot something for Cousin George.  Here is a little secret I know about. Buy two generic gifts and if you don’t need them, they are a gift to yourself.

Advent is about preparing ourselves and asking many more questions. These are internal questions that guard our hearts. I believe, after pondering the presence of: Hope, Peace, Joy & Love within us, the most important counting question is, “are these four items, feelings, present in me”? Then can I say in my heart of hearts ‘I’m ready to stand in front of the manger and look down at Jesus face and unconditionally say, ‘I’m ready for this moment.’  

Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home