Robin's Nest

Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Christmas All Year?



You would be please with me.  Two weeks ago I went into a big box store. Now this isn’t something unusual for me and that is not what you would be cheering about. Just as I passed through those big, clean, clear glass doors, ‘what to my wondrous eyes should appear’? Not eight reindeer.  I didn’t even look for them because all I could see was a sea of artificial trees and decorations from floor to ceiling.  WHAT are they thinking?  It’s only Sept! It was 35C and the air-conditioning is going full blast, and no, I was not in Florida yet.
As I stood there in shock, my mind went in so many directions. Halloween is not over and that means they don’t even give me a chance to enjoy my birthday before the first snow. What’s can I say. Isn’t this getting a little too early? I thought last year was too soon after the start of Oct but now it’s earlier than that.
Just read an article this past week about where we get our Christmas celebrations from.  Back a long while ago, the major festival was not Christmas but Thanksgiving.  Christimas only developed as we know it just a few hundred years ago with Charles Dickens. Back then Santa (the Ghost of Christmas Present) wore green and not red.  Then it was only after the world as we knew it, became Christian did our celebration sprout wings.
And that is where we came to be where we are now, two weeks into Sept and it starts. After thinking about it a little, and checking out the prices of the trees,  I know what I’m going to do the next time I go in that big box store. I’m going to wish the cashiers “Merry Christmas”. After all this might be a good thing. Soon, we will have Christmas all year just like we wished for many years ago.
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home