Robin's Nest

Monday, July 24, 2017

Put Those Feet Up



They tell me, summer is a time for relaxing. Really? I have some problems with that. Nothing like what I used to but still, really? If you are one of those ‘A’ type personalities, you have difficulties with this and probably never really take a vacation even when you take a vacation.
Many years ago, too many to think about, I thought that sleep was a huge waste of time.  At one point I had one full-time job and two part time jobs. All this happened while taking classes at seminary and raising my two girls.  Can you imagine, even had a very full day planner that was busting at the seams.
As a pastor, some old time minister once said to me that ministers never take holidays as they are on call 24/7.  Unfortunately for me, I relished the thought of being ‘on’ all the time. For some reason it even pushed me to be more productive and more focused and more, more, more.
I remember working in one church where the board went to the senior pastor with some concern that I would burn myself out. To which he replied, ‘don’t worry about it, that’s his problem’. Well, never did burn out.
Today, I think differently, and not because I'm less driven, but because of what I have learned from living that lifestyle. First, I can’t do it all. Came to that conclusion a few years back when a verse talked to me, “Jesus said, I will build my church…” Second, we need time to ‘be still and know that He is God.’ Lastly, we are not Superman or women. We are created by Him and as a human we need rest. And sometimes it's 20 minutes at 3pm.
Twice in Psalms 62 David tells us that we ‘rest in God’.  I’m old and I discovered the following is true; more so than being always working and doing things, we can take time off, we can go on vacation. Why, because God doesn’t and it’s not all up to us.
This summer relax, take time off to enjoy God’s creation, to spend time with those who love you and just be. That’s it, just be.  And don’t worry, He’s got all the rest covered.
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home