Robin's Nest

Monday, July 03, 2017

What Next?



When I asked the children at church the other week what they are doing for summer holidays they had a interesting answer.  There were all those things kids like to do. Here are some that you might have related to. Go swimming, and Canada’s Wonderland, take a road trip, play with their friends, video games.
When I was younger we spent most of our day hanging around with the other kids in the neighbourhood. Most of us didn’t have the luxury of summer camp. We didn’t even have day camp in our neighbourhood. We did have VBS and usually went to all of them. Let me say this before I go on, we didn’t get into trouble because we were bored. There was the community pool and sometimes a father would pack us all into his car and take us to the cold, very cold beach at Lake Ontario.
As I continued to talk with the kids we discovered they only had a vision for the first week. After that, they were not too sure. Summer vacation has probably has been like that for over 100 years. Again back to my youth. One year we ran out of things to do. Even sleeping in lost its luster after a couple of weeks. Two weeks before September we decided to have a block Monopoly tournament. After a week at it, I think none of us wanted to ever play Monopoly again.
Too often many of us are like our children, we never prepare for next week or next month let alone next year. A number or years ago I asked the congregation where they wanted to be in a year. Many people had never been asked that question, even though I believe we need to ask ourselves it all the time.
Here is where I stand. I believe we start a new year each and every day we get up out of bed. That is the time to ask, “Where do I want to be a year from now and even five years from now”. We all need a one year and five year plan. The saying is true; if you fail to plan you plan to fail.  Just yesterday I had opportunity to ask some young people what their summer plans were. It warmed my heart to hear most of them had a plan of what they were going to be doing for nine weeks.
We all should be doing likewise. Even with our heart and its connection to our Father in heaven. Where do you want to be at this time next year in relationship to Jesus Christ? It is a question to ask and a movement to accomplish it every year. I want to be even closer to the Lord next year and the next year. What about you?
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home