Robin's Nest

Monday, May 02, 2016

Inside Voices?



Believe me, there is just too much shouting going on. So, go ahead and whisper. Yes, I said whisper. Over the years I have learned that whispering actually gets more attention than we ever thought. I was visiting with a family recently and noticed the boy and the dad never speak quietly. It’s seemed to always be loud, even when they sit beside each other.  Over the course of my visit I realized they are competing to be heard. I’m glad God is not like that.
It happens all the time. Ever notice if someone doesn’t hear you they call back to you at the volume they want to hear from you? There was a time that I finally figured out how to talk to someone and be heard. All you have to do is first say their name. We have to remember that many individuals are in their own little world thinking about this and that and many times the voices in our minds muffles the voices in our world.
With children, we suggest ‘inside voices’ don’t we? But with all of life, as Seth Godin say, whispering calms us and relaxes us so we can hear the words said. When someone shouts, we can get tense, bent out of shape and block out what they are saying.
Which gets me to thinking about how, many times we shout at God and He answers in a still small voice. Don’t get me wrong, there are times in this life where it may be okay to shout at God but there is also times where we want to just have a wonderful conversation. Just so you there is a quiet side to God. We read about God answering quietly in 1 Kings 19:12; ‘After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire either. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.’ Sometime soon listen to the still small voice of God as He whispers to you through the current of air rustling through the leaves one the trees. Then whisper back.
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home