Robin's Nest

Monday, September 22, 2014

Can't Shake That Song



Do you ever get a song stuck in your head? You know, songs like; “Who Let The Dogs Out”, or how about, “Only You” sung by the Platters, or here is one that can really stick, “Stuck On You”. I recently heard kids doing the same thing. No idea what those songs are about. They hear a song and before you know it, they can’t seem to shake it.

If you grew up in the fifties you might have been singing, (when no one was listening), “Green Door”. My sister had that record and being she only had a few 45’s, we heard it many, many times. It still comes to mind at the most unusual moment. If you grew up in the sixties, you might remember, “Hey Jude”.  And the seventies gave us one that never entirely leaves us, Joy To The World, by Three Dog Night (1971).

About that time, 1971, I started getting into Christian music. Still to this very day I have songs coming and sticking with me a while. I remember when, Bill Gaither came out with “Because He Lives”. Like so many other songs, it came at a time when it was needed.  I can remember the first time I head, “How Great Thou Art”. It came when I needed to recognize Gods importance in my life. I can still sing these songs without looking up the words.

There have been so many others lately, and we are bringing them to the next generation of church goers. Song like, How Great Is Our God, Our God is An Awesome God, Here I Am To Worship, to name just a few.

Now that I think about it, most of the songs that get stuck, (and that’s a good thing) Christian or otherwise, relate to what we need, wish for or are searching for in our lives. There is that something that is missing. Something that needs to be defined and it comes when someone like us is going through the same thing and puts it down on paper. It’s happening to me right now, today, with Matt Mayer and, All the People Said Amen, just like it did generations before in 1873 when Horatio Spafford wrote,

When peace like a river, attendeth my way,

When sorrows like sea billows roll;

Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,

It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Something to think about

Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home