Robin's Nest

Monday, July 28, 2014

On Time



Just so you know, I hate being late.  I know that’s a pretty strong word but it’s true. My mother was like that as well. Then again, it could be on account of an old professor I had way back in prehistoric times. We had a class on ministry and he said, “If there is one thing you need to be,  it is . . . .” Before he finished the sentence, thought were racing though our minds as he might be about to say; holy, or spiritual or dignified or born again or whatever, but he said, “on time”. What? This is his greatest piece of advice? Really?To which he added; “If you are late, you don’t care about the other people you are inconveniencing”. Yes, it stuck and continues to influence me on how I continue to feel about being late. Maybe that is why I have so many clocks and watches.
Every once in a while I continue to think about this, especially when I’m waiting for someone else. Here’s a thought; can you imagine what church would be like if we ministers showed up at maybe 11:10? I’ve so wanted to repeat the professor’s advice with almost every doctor I have ever known. Well, except one. That one only books one patient every thirty minutes. Always on time and never in a hurry.
Wonder of wonders, I was on time this past week. As you might remember from last week’s article, I enjoy my time with seniors where I go to visit and listen to their stories. They do have lots of stories and I try to never be in a hurry. This past week was no exception. You see, I believe they are waiting for me to arrive, and seem to look forward to my visits as much as I do. The longer I know some residents, the closer we get and the more they open up to me. They even ask about the church and what I am going to preach on and, and, and. It’s so nice to share together.
As I was saying, I was not late and in fact arrived fifteen minutes ahead of time the other week. It doesn’t take long to start the normal routine of moving from one individual to another on the first floor. You could call it small talk. Then at the right time I proceeded over to the elevator and move on up to others waiting for a visit. Out of the elevator, walked the hall and turned into the first upstairs wing I normally visit. I was met face to face with one of the staff who had an unusual look on her face. She broke the news to me that one of the residents I visited faithfully had passed just moments before I arrived. I knew my resident would have been waiting for our visit, and parting prayer.
I had arrived on time. I stood outside their room and said a solo parting prayer in those quiet moments as the beginning of something greater began for this departing saint. You see, my friend was right on time to meet Jesus. He will always be on time, waiting for each of our arrivals. Are you on time? Will you be ready to meet Him at the right time?
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home