Robin's Nest

Monday, July 07, 2014

It's Just Thunder



We all have our fears. Yes we do. When I was first on Facebook very early Monday morning to see how Sunday went for everyone, someone had already put a note that they didn’t like the thunder that we woke to 3 am. Just so you know, it’s call, Tonitrophobia Here is another one. Did you know there are some people who will never turn left while driving? Actually watched a program a few years ago that followed someone who would never make a left hand turn. MMMMMMMM.
They call them phobias. They are real and nothing to be laughed at. It’s defined as an aversion to an object or situation. I don’t think they have a name for my greatest fear. You want me to tell you what it is? Here goes, I fear having to do a wedding and forget it. No, you didn’t feel the earth shake. It’s just something some ministers fear. This got me to thinking and wondering about all those other fears people have. So I went onto my computer and took 36 seconds to find a list of phobias. Wow! I never knew.
I scanned the whole list and decided to share some of them with you but also to make myself available to anyone who has one of these fears and they want to talk about it. Before we get going, here is one just for fun. It’s Chronomentrophobia, or the fear of clocks. If you suffer from this, don’t come to our home as I have more than 15 just in just my office.
Seriously, here is the first one, Homilophobia is the fear of sermons. Go to our church website and watch one in progress. It might help to relieve some of your fear. How about Theophobia and Zeusophobia? They are fear of God, gods or religion. Yes there are some scary religions out there but I serve a God who is not mad at you. He loved the world and sent His son to believe in and receive eternal life. Which lead me to Eccleiophobia which is simply stated, the fear of church. Let me tell you, I have been in some scary churches in my time. And to be fair, I was only there once. You see, I believe the real church is the one filled with people who want to be loved by God, valued by others, accepted by other sinners who just want to show other beggars where they found bread.   
When I was growing up, there were a few ministers and churches out there that were nothing but fire and brimstone. They scared the hell out of us and God into us. It took me a long time to discover that wasn’t the God who called me to Himself. It was then that I met a God who wants nothing more than to walk beside us day by day, dispelling our fears and reassuring us of His love and care. In the bible it reads in Isaiah 41:10, “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” If you want to meet the God I worship, give me a call so we can get together and I will introduce you to him.
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home