Robin's Nest

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Now Don't Forget!

You are not alone. Everyone does it you know.   Yes, each and every one of us forgets.  We joke about it being a senior’s moment, or something like that. But let me reassure you, you are not alone. I remember telling my kids so many times to clean up their mess to which they reply, “Sorry, I forgot” And when they reached those teen years, well. . . I think they heard me every time but used one of two lines, “I didn’t hear you” or, are you ready for it, “I forgot.” It doesn’t matter how old you are or how young you might be, it’s a chronic problem we all suffer from. 
There are many different ways to forget. I want you also to know that forgetting can have a positive side as well. It can mean we have some wonderful times of rest and relaxation when we forget about all the stuff in life that we think we have to do and have to get done and have to, have to, have to. Like dusting. When I get to heaven I want to ask God, “why all that dust?” Someone once said that dust is there just so men know where to put things back. Don’t know, but one day I will.  Here is another one, - we say we forgot but in actuality, we didn’t forget we just didn’t want to do that thing we forgot. Ouch.  For me, my greatest fear is to forget about a wedding I booked a year ago and never heard from the couple again until I get this phone call saying, “Pastor, we’re ready. Where are you?” AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA… 
Another place we forget is after learning how to do something. A day or so later we realize that it went in one ear and out the other. My dad taught me many things about wood working. Loved to spend time with him and just listen and learn. Only problem is, I forgot. Taught me how to lay out staircase runners. Forgot. Showed my how to cut dados. Forgot. Many things I forgot due to not following the formula.  "Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I will understand." And that’s the truth.
A while ago I was asked to teach someone something on the computer. Let me just say, it was something simple because I knew how to do it. The first thing I did was get up off the computer chair and let them sit there and follow my instructions. That person did all three things, listened, saw and did. They, or should I say we, need to learn by doing, helps us remember how to do it again and again.
It's not just about forgetting something, why you came upstairs, or how to do it again. It's trusting in a God who knows everything and in many cases, just leaving it to Him.  We all forget. But not God. He never forgets. EXCEPT in what we read in Heb 8:12, “He will remember their sins no more.”
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home