Robin's Nest

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Life In General


We are still relatively close to the beginning of another year. Have you planned out your year? Me too, I’m still at the thinking stage. There was a time while I was in my final year at high school, I felt the need to begin the planning of my whole adult life. I had plans, BIG PLANS. Great, wonderful, amazing, stupendous plans. And nothing was going to get in my way, and reaching my full potential.
It didn’t take me long to realize there was some truth about the plans of mice and men. But I had a plan. It started off with excelling in drafting at school. Loved it and planned to make a career of it. That was until I came close to graduation and realized it didn’t pay enough to live in the style I wanted to become accustom to. That plan quickly disappear along with the girlfriend I had at the time. Two plans, gone, just like that. But I wasn’t discouraged. There were more opportunities. So, I applied for five different occupations. Now a new dilemma came to call. All five companies wanted me.
I did the honourable thing. I took the one that paid the most. Success! Well, until I found out I would have to get greasy and dirty. But I had another plan, No real problem with the dirt is I work well, work carefully and toke my time. And it worked. I was on my way. Or so I thought.
I believed the plan was working. What really happened then was I came upon a detour that couldn’t be moved. What was the detour? God shows up and got in the way.
Moses had the same problem. He had his life all set. He was going to ride the wave of prosperity and privilege. Until, until God had other plans. Then as a shepherd, Moses thought he was set for life again. Not the greatest occupation but a great living. Then God showed up. Finally Moses was called by God from a burning bush to lead the exodus. At eighty years old he took on this new role. I’m not eighty yet but . . . I’m wondering if my plan is actually my plan.
I had plans. I was working as a millwright apprentice and making good money, headed up the corporate ladder. Lots of money and wanting for nothing. Until. Until God got in the way.
He asked me to give up my job, the money, the house and the new car, and go back to school for another 11 years. Hey, wait a minute. I don't want to do that. I like what I'm doing, where I live, the house, brand new beige 1969 AMC Rebel, the wife and the 2 1/2 kids. What more could I want? What more did I need?
After complaining, talking to Him, and just finally let His will be done, I worked His plan and have never looked back. As always, He is never wrong, unlike me.
Take a moment right now and just reflect on your life. Find those wonderful places where you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God was changing your plan to His. It is at those moments, and there will be more in the future, where your plans and God’s plans are one and the same. Together, let’s listen to God, He has a greater plan then we could ever imagine.
Okay, I have a better idea, let's just start with Him and all things will fall into place.
Something to think about.
RB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home