Robin's Nest

Monday, December 05, 2011

What's it cost?

It's Christmas?

And the big question is, “What does this cost?” Sometimes that is the first question that comes to mind. Then there are other times where you don’t care what it costs, you just want it. That’s not me. I want to know what the price is. If I think it’s too much, I pass and go after something else. I was like that at one time with groceries but not so much anymore. After all, we do have to eat don’t we. Maybe you have seen the show about extreme coupons. Now that’s shopping.
But seriously, don’t you want to get the best deal for you money? And don’t you want to spread the money around so you can purchase more gifts for everyone? When I was just a wee little lad, my mom and I would go out on Christmas Eve day and do all the last minute shopping for the last minute deals. Did it for years and still continue to do it as my one small memory of mom and I together. After she was gone, I continue doing the Christmas Eve thing but only at one store. After the sun was down and less than an hour to closing time, I would drive over to Canadian Tire. They were always the last store open before Walmart came along. Leaving the girls home on their own, I would buy a boat load of half price items for the next morning. Canadian Tire is known to put their sale items into the computer the night before. Don’t tell anyone.
At the same time, at Christmas we want to give to the ones we love something that says how much we care for them. Unlike the fellow in the commercial who is buying for his wife a phone that cost a penny? But is that the only way we can show loved ones we really, really care? I don’t think it is. So I propose we start a new tradition this year. Think of something that costs a great deal. Something that may be beyond measure. Ask yourself, what does it cost? Because really the only thing that costs the most is our time. Give someone your time. Set aside time to be together. Not just on Christmas Day. Maybe once a month, or once a week. My dad and I did this for most of the last four years of his life and I will never regret one minute of our time together. Well, other than being white knuckled when he drove the odd time.
And I’m not meaning going to show where you sit silently beside each other. Go or be somewhere where you can see each other, talk, listen. Walk in a mall, go for coffee, or lunch or dinner where no one has to clean up and do dishes. Find places where you have never been before and take someone with you. Or ask them to find a new place of adventure. Those places are there and to find them together makes it beautiful, amazing, and an adventure. Here is a novel idea, go to church together, and then go for lunch and talk about what happened with spending an hour together with God? He deserves some our time and love as well. After all, He first loved us and gave His Son.
What does it cost? Just time and we all don’t have enough time to waste not being with each other. Give the gift of your life, because it’s the only real gift you can give.
Something to think about.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home