Robin's Nest

Monday, December 05, 2011

What I thought to myself probably shouldn’t be said as I watched the little urchin. Here he was, just before Christmas, and everything on the shelves in the toy section, according to Little Lord Fauntleroy, needed to be bought for him right now. No waiting for Christmas. Not just one item either.

Now I know why we old folks should never find ourselves in the wrong section of the store, the toy section. I couldn’t believe my eyes as I watched child after child, convincing their parent to buy something for them right now. And this with Christmas only a few weeks away. I said to myself, “Have they lost their minds?” It’s only two letters to say no. Yes, I can see on the odd occasion asking mom or dad for a small item at the dollar store. Sorry, the $1.25 store. But a ten or twenty dollar item just before Christmas? And how about the parents who give in to their every whim? Go ahead, tell me I'm out of touch with society today or something to that nature. I may be old but I know that Christmas is a very, extremely, important, special day.

I remember giving my children specific instructions when we went to the mall or out to Towers, or Woolco. I told them if they asked for one item, you would get nothing. They could show me as many things they would like and I would be polite and say that’s nice. But just once say, “Dad, can I have this?” The deal was off. Sometimes back then I would have money to buy something and other times not. Well, my youngest daughter learned very quickly how the scenario worked.
Not long after this, I overheard a young mom say to her child at every insistence that they would die if they didn’t get. . . . . . . She said, “That is very nice but we don’t have the money to get it today. We only have enough money for the things we need right now. Maybe another day”.
I wanted to go up to her and congratulate her and thank her for the line that I learned to say more times than I can count. Don't get me wrong, I would love to give my children the world as well just like you. But maybe, giving them the world and what they want and want now, is counterproductive. It's like waiting for Christmas. One special morning where we are receiving something wonderful from someone who loves us. One day. One special day. One day, in which God gave to all of us a once in a lifetime gift. The greatest gift of all. The gift of His Son.

In a world that is so in touch with immediate gratification, I’m so pleased that we can all wait to receive God’s gift of His Son to us - on Christmas Morning. And not a moment sooner. But not a moment too soon.
Something To Think About.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home