Robin's Nest

Monday, December 19, 2011

It's Christmas For Everyone

This is not a new fact. But it’s true that people drive by every day. And it doesn’t take rocket science to assume they also drive by on Sundays when our church doors are open. For most of those people, they have no idea what is going on behind our doors. I would say, a good many don’t care. In spite of that fact, most of the world we know shares in what we celebrate as a most important celebration. And that is Christmas.
Over the years I have heard time and time again, “If you are not a Christian, a Christ follower, then you should not celebrate Christmas.” Go to work on Dec. 25 and let us have our celebration and we will see you bright and early Tuesday morning. Well my friends, I don’t agree. I have reasons.
My primary reason is, MAYBE, just maybe this will be the only time the world around us knows, feels and experiences something of God’s love. A love that is to each and every human being on this planet. After all, my bible tells me Jesus came to save the lost. Not just certain formerly lost people like you and me. But all people, every single one. John 3:17: For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
What an amazing opportunity we have to share not only our Christmas, but also the God behind Christmas. Jesus came at the right time, at the right moment in history to bring the message of salvation, of grace and forgiveness. It is a message of love that had never been duplicated. And it’s that love we have opportunity to share.
A couple of weeks ago I came across an interesting statistic that basically told me that fifty percent of our population is not looking forward to Christmas. My first thought about how they feel, was due to them not knowing Jesus. When I really thought about it, I realized within my own mind, that they were not looking forward to Christmas because of memories of past Christmases. In many cases, they have never known the true happiness of Christmas. For them, it has been and still is a time of sadness wrapped in terrible memories, or disappointing mornings.
Then I got to thinking of Matt 28 and how it applies to Christmas. Maybe Jesus wants us to go out and bring others in. To share our lives and all the joy we know at Christmas. To give to everyone, young and old, rich and poor, the joy of Christmas that we know and love. Maybe it’s time we shared what we believe about this wonderful day. Just maybe we need to give the best gift of all to everyone we meet. And that gift is Jesus Christ whose birthday we celebrate.
Merry Christmas - One & All.
And a truly Happy New Year.
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home