Robin's Nest

Monday, May 30, 2011

You Look Just Like . . .

It’s been a long time since I grew any. I presume it’s probably the same for each one of you as well. Let me rephrase that, I have long since grown any taller. Might have grown other ways, but 5 ft 8 inches was about it for me. I was at a family function yesterday and I was taken by the fact that I was probably the shortest one of the bunch. Well, except for Keith. We come from a family of mostly taller people. Most of them are at least 2 inches taller then me but that’s okay, they don’t look down on me.
I have also quit growing other ways. A month or so ago, while talking to a fellow minister, he said he feels too old to go back to school. He cannot see himself going back into the classroom at sixty plus. He might have something there. Think about it for a second. Okay a few second. Could you see yourself back there? Sitting in a lecture hall, trying to concentrate on what the prof was saying and keeping focused while trying to push back from your mind all the things you are thinking about outside those four wall? Not an easy task. And to study for a final exam? I don’t think so.
Then I started thinking about the gym. I used to work out five or six days a week. Now that I am older, scratch that, more mature, I no longer see the need to build my body. Don’t think it would happen anyway. Something to do with the lack of testosterone or something like that. But the cardio three days a week seems to be helping me breath better. So many things have stopped happening physically, and Bernard, don’t you say a thing about my hair.
Fortunate for us there is and will always be one place where we can grow. That place is in our spiritual lives. One verse comes to mind right away, “but grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour.” That is continual activity. When we read but one verse, and dwell on it, we grow from the experience. Peter also writes, “that I may know Him . . . ” Getting to know someone is a daily thing. We need to continually be in Christ’s presence to keep the growth process active and vibrant. And so we should never stop growing in any way. Not even for a few days when we are not in church. Peter wants us to join him in our getting to know all about Jesus.
It has been said that dogs and their owners grow to look alike. Could the world say that about us as we grow into the reflection of Christ?
Something to think about
Rob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home